Saturday, January 26, 2008

Well, I have had better days....

..but everything will be okay. I should have known that it was going to be a rough day when the alarm didn't go off, thus leaving me to sleep late. I was entered to run in a race over in Sullivan's Island (a good little hike from where I am). Anywho, then I couldn't find my running shoes. I finally figured I must have left them at Dena's on Thursday, since that was the last place I had them. Still okay since I have a 2nd pair that I never wear. So the weather is sooooo yucky. We are even under a winter weather advisory watch!!! I make it in time, but when I step out of the car I realize that I never factored in that coastal breeze I would be getting!! My eyes immediately teared up from the wind!!! No backing out now, and the race actually went well.
So afterward I call home to tell the fam the details of the race and that I was stopping at one store (since I was on that side of town and never am) and then I would be home. I head home and am about halfway there, cruising on I-26 in the fast lane with my cruise control set (such a favorite feature of mine). All of the sudden, BAM!!! Someone completely slams into my rear. I didn't even hear breaks squealing beforehand. I look in my rear view mirror to see a car right behind me turned sideways and immediately say a prayer that I am not hit again.
Let me stop here and say that I am fine. A little sore today, but fine. I also want to add that this is the very FIRST time I have ever been in an accident that WAS NOT my fault. I have always said that whenever this day came, I would get out and do a cartwheel. Alas, I did not perform this gymnastic feat; I was way too freaked out!!!!
Long story short, some dude was a fulyin' mach 10 up the highway and came around a corner and there was me, doin' the speed limit. He had nowhere to go but into me. So he hits me, then flies across three lanes of traffic into the woods hitting a fence. When the ambulance comes he won't cooperate. When the police come he won't cooperate AND becomes combative, assaulting a police officer. He is arrested and taken to jail.
Michael is frantic; I mean frantic!!! He is at home with the kids. I have the minivan which has the car seats, so he can't get to me. He can't get a hold of anyone to come and watch the kids nor is he really able to think of who to call. Bless his heart, he was truly more a bundle of nerves than I was. He sends Frank (a coworker and great friend of ours) to help me out. Luckily Frank knows this kind of drill and just tells me what to do. I can't say enough about when it comes to how blessed I am to have relatives and close friends in this line of work. When something like this happens, you need all the support and direction you can get. I totally wasn't thinking straight and Frank was so helpful. This is why Michael was worried...he knows what happens when accidents occur. The right questions don't always get asked and people get taken advantage of. The moment is gone and it all happens so fast. I am so grateful and yes, even in the midst of this horrible incident, I can say God is Good, even when things are bad. There may have been an even more horrible accident further on up the road involving fatalities had my accident not occurred..you just never know.
So, here we are safe and sound. I am so blessed that my babies were at home warm and happy on the couch and that this is behind us. It was just one of those days. It's over and on to the next!!! Lesson learned today: NOTHING is in my control. No matter how many rules I follow (i.e., speed limit, defensive driving), I can't control what someone else does. I pray that young man is okay.
Oh, and by the way, Michael says the pictures really don't do it justice. We are hoping that the frame of the car isn't bent! I was so happy I had my camera with me...total bloggie material!





post signature

7 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm so glad you are okay!! That must have been so scary!! BTW, check with your carseat manufacturers and your insurance company---a lot of the time if you have an accident, even if your baby is not in the carseat, it can compromise the safety of the carseat and it needs to be replaced. Often your insurance company will pay for a replacement, too. Just wanted to give you a head's up!!

Praying for the guy who hit you, too!!

Link with carseat info:
http://www.800bucklup.org/parent/replacing%20CSS%20after%20crash.html

Meg said...

Buffie- glad things turned out the way they did and you're ok. Listen to Mag's advice--she is the queen of carseat safety!! :)

Hope your fam had a wonderful Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are OK! Yep, you never know what is "around the corner" and sometimes you can't do a darn thing about it! I scuffed our minivan in Charleston, too, but that's another story!

LeslieW. said...

I am so glad you are ok!

Lindsay said...

Thank God you are okay! So glad the kids were at home and that there were no serious injuries to you!many kudos on running the race!

Dena said...

ok - so i didn't read it - but i glad you is okay - i can't believe the crazy murder guy! the minivan don't look all that bad - at least it weren't yo fault! what a crazy day!

FabulousLee Fun Twin Tales said...

Holy Cow!!! So glad that you're fine and the children weren't involved. Whew! Makes my heart skip a beat just thinking about it. I need to give you a hug!!!