Sunday, August 5, 2007

On the subject of Church.....

Okay, so today I spurt-of-the-moment got ready and took the kids to a different church. We are currently members of a presbyterian church and I really, really love our leader and his sermons. I get so much from them. The kids enjoy the sunday school (well, I guess you call it that, they are ages 2 and 1) and when I get to go to my sunday school class I love it. However, as far as the church itself goes, I just don't feel very in touch with it, does that make sense? I don't know what it is. For example, We have been complete heathens all summer long. This morning is the first time I have gone since maybe May. Ashamed to say it but it is true. Why is that? I think it is a perfect example of how conflicted I am feeling about my church. I think I want to belong to a church that I am excited and motivated about going to. I know that getting involved may be the answer to my problem as it has been in the past. However with two kids that are so young, that makes it hard for me. They have bedtimes that are right in the middle of most group meetings. So, I told Michael before he left that he shouldn't be surprised if we visited other churches while he was gone. Making good on my intentions this morning, I visited a non-denominational church this morning that was very contemporary. I knew what I was going to be walking into. My husband grew up Freewill Baptist and I grew up Southern Baptist. For me, I haven't ever felt very apart of a charismatic type church or fire and brimstone. So, I have hungered for things that are the direct opposite of that. My fondest memories growing up were of the hymns. Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, Victory In Jesus, etc. My mother has an incredible voice, and I fondly remember standing next to her listening and watching. Since joining a Presbyterian Church I have found new hymns that are very meaningful as well. I don't mind contemporary Christian music, I think it is more of a switch that has to go off in my head. I just have to learn to think of it differently, you know? I am rambling I know...my point is is that we are church shopping/browsing or whatever you want to call it. I am at a point in my life where I am really looking for great Christian fellowship. I have even somewhat hungered for a bible study!! For me that is a huge thing!! Life changes and spiritual needs change with it, I know God will lead me to where he wants me to be; I just have to be open to the change.

6 comments:

Dena said...

Dude! Come to church with Kane, Les, CJ, Sugar and me! We would LOVE IT!!! we are doing that Bible study at sugar's and Kane just signed up to lead a married small group (and me)!!!
The kids would have a blast and I guarentee you will get LOTS out of it!

FabulousLee Fun Twin Tales said...

Or, feel free to go with the Lee's and the Wimberly's to Bethany United methodist. It's a SUPER church and we LOVE our Sunday school group. They have amazing things for the kids as well!

LeslieW. said...

I'm with Dena...come with us! We would LOVE to have you.

Jeffcoat House said...

Dude- we totally sing hymns. They are a little faster than the originals, but they are hymns!

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)