Sunday, October 7, 2007

Just what exactly is going on here????

Come on...SEC football for me this weekend was so not good.....

As all of my ten or so blog readers probably know, Michael is a huge Tennessee fan and I am a huge Georgia fan. Those same ten readers may or may not know that these two teams played each other this weekend. I am so sad to say that Georgia lost. Hmmmm, Georgia lost. Let's see, I could stomach those words a little better had the winning team been um, let's see, LSU? Florida? Or heck, even South Carolina?! But Tennessee??? Come on, they have had a completely horrible season thus far and even last year. So bad, that I would be willing to bet that Phil Fulmer loses his job after this season. THIS is what ticks me off about Tennessee, but at the same time makes SEC football so very, very exciting and wonderful. You never know what is going to happen. I like it just fine, as long as we aren't on the losing end, right?

This particular game is a big one at our house. Since Michael and I have known each other we have seen each team win and lose, so neither of us dreads the game as it has become a fun one. Over the years, we have sat on opposite sides of the couch, as far away from each other as we could get. I have hidden behind pillows, afraid to watch field goals that might be missed or made to win the game. We have dared to look at each other, for fear of what might come out of the others mouth. It does make a game interesting...

I remember our first year of marriage when the famous game came on. Michael was a state trooper then and had to work really late...like into the wee hours late. So, I sat on the couch alone watching the game, calling each time something big happened...well, each time Georgia scored or Tennessee fumbled, you get the picture. He was so ticked he had to work and miss the game. Georgia had been losing to Tennessee for the last several years, so it was a truly big deal for me when they beat them thar' Volunteers. I was high as a kite, so full of energy and no one to direct my smack talk to. So, I thought I'd stay up, wait for him to come home and rub it in real good. I couldn't make it, I got so tired. So, I pulled out a tube of body glitter (okay, I know what you're thinking here, but don't. Some girlfriend [who shall remain nameless], just for laughs stuck it in with a gift she gave me at a lingerie shower before I was married) and wrote on my stomach "UGA 4-EVA". I left him a note that he couldn't miss which said to wake me up when he came in. I knew that whenever he made it home I would be in no shape to chant junkyard dawg tunes, but this seemed to get my point across.

So, the deal in our house these days is, the spouse who's team wins gets to fly their team flag outside the house for the rest of the season. So, Michael asked me today when he called if his flag was up. Sorry honey, I seem to have misplaced it. Darn Fulmer...what a spoiler. Can't wait til' next year and we can watch it together!


post signature

5 comments:

The Birds Nest said...

I love it!!! My husband and I love a good competition. A fun little wager makes it even more interesting. I'll have to look for my body paint from my Bachelorette Party because that is too funny!!! By the way- GO COCKS!!!!

Dena said...

Dude - I was sooo excited about being able to talk smack to Michael but I guess you will have to do! Ooops - no can do I in the same crap boat!!!

Sad when the gamecocks are the team!

Anonymous said...

I hear that beautiful sound of "Rocky Top" echoing through the great state of Georgia. Soon it shall pass through South Carolina (a couple of times, maybe).
Let me see if I can help you out Honey. The flag is in the garage on top of the storage rack next to the turkey fryer. Ah-Ha! easy enough. And you girl's think us guy's do not pay attention. Now that you know, I expect a photo of that UT checkerboard flag flying outside our house on the next blog. And by the way, you can break out the body glitter anytime, we do not need a special occasion. You know that's right! I love you, see you in 3 weeks.

The Birds Nest said...

That Michael is a funny guy. I laughed out loud when I read his comment. I read it to my husband too, and he got a good chuckle. He thought I should definitely look for my body glitter:)

Dena said...

WAITING ON DA FLAG SISTA!